If you’re looking for a quick, simple weeknight dinner that is also beautiful and super delicious, THIS is it. The green curry coconut broth is creamy and so flavourful. An excellent curry paste is crucial for this dish. I swear by and love this brand that I get at Superstore. But I am open to other curry paste recommendations if you have them. If you love your curries spicy like me, start with the recommended amount in the recipe and add more until you reach your desired spice level. If you’re sensitive to heat like my hubby, err on the side of caution when you add the curry paste. Better to start with less and add more as you go.
As much as a I love rice noodles, I decided to spiralize zucchini for the noodles to take advantage of the abundance of local zucchini right now. Making this a wonderful summertime soup. Because soup in summer in definitely a thing.
I kept this soup quite simple with heaps of cilantro and some radish slices, but feel free to add in additional veggies like spinach, peas or kale. I grew these gorgeous purple radishes this year in our garden and couldn’t resist showing them off in these photos. However, regular radishes are still beautiful and can, of course, be used. The shrimp add great flavour to the broth and cook in minutes, but if shrimp are not your thing try tofu or chicken instead.
Don’t forget to squeeze some fresh lime juice over your bowl before you dive into and slurp up this delicious soup.
A fresh 30-minute green coconut curry with zucchini noodles, shrimp, radish and lots of cilantro.
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) coconut oil
- 1 medium white onion, chopped
- 1 tsp (5 ml) ginger, minced
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) green curry pasta, adjust to taste
- 1 can, 13.5 oz (400 ml) coconut milk
- 4 cups (1 litre) vegetable stock
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) fish sauce
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) soy sauce
- 2 tsp (10 ml) sugar
- 12 oz (375 gr) shrimp, peeled
- 2 medium zucchini, spiralized
- ½ cup (125 ml) radish, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup (60 ml) cilantro, chopped
- Sesame seeds
- Add coconut oil to pan set over medium heat. Add onion. Sauté for about 5 minutes. Add ginger and garlic. Sauté for a couple of minutes, or until fragrant.
- Add curry paste and cook briefly to “toast” the spices in the paste.
- Add coconut milk, vegetable stock, fish sauce, soy sauce and sugar. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and allow to simmer for 10 – 15 minutes.
- Taste and adjust seasoning, adding more curry paste, soy sauce as desired.
- Add shrimp to simmering mixture. Cook for a few minutes until they turn pink.
- To serve, add zucchini noodles to bottom of bowl. Large soup over top. Garnish with radishes, cilantro, sesame seeds and lime.
Variations and Substitutions: Instead of shrimp, use tofu or chicken breasts. Chicken stock can be used in place of the vegetable stock. Rice noodles can replace the spiralized zucchini.
Dietary Considerations: Dairy-free, Gluten-Free