Hoisin Sauce Mixture:
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 inch (2.5 cm) ginger, finely grated
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) hoisin sauce
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) sriracha (adjust to taste)
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) soy sauce
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) sesame oil
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) water
- 1 12-oz (350 gr) package tofu, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) tamari or soy sauce
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) cornstarch
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) neutral oil (ex. grape seed oil), divided
- 4 cups (1 litre) shiitake mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 2 bundles of ramen noodles
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 cups (500 ml) purple cabbage, thinly sliced
- Juice of 1 lime
- Pinch of salt
- 1 head of iceberg lettuce, halved and bottom core removed
- Garnish: chopped cilantro, chopped cashews, sesame seeds, hot sauce
- Hoisin sauce mixture: combine garlic, ginger, hoisin sauce, sriracha, soy sauce, rice vinegar, sesame oil and water in a bowl and whisk together. Set aside.
- Tofu: Toss cubed tofu with soy sauce and corn starch in a bowl. Heat nonstick frying pan with 2 tbsp oil over medium heat. Allow the oil to heat before adding tofu. Test a piece of tofu to see if it sizzles. If yes, then add the rest of tofu to pan and spread evenly. Let tofu cook until it turns a golden brown. Then use a spatula to flip the tofu. Repeat process until most sides of the tofu are golden and crispy. This can take up to 15 minutes. Once tofu is done, remove from pan and add to a medium bowl.
- Add another splash of oil to pan and sauté mushrooms until browned; about 5 minutes. Once cooked add mushrooms to the bowl with tofu.
- Meanwhile, prepare noodles according to package directions. Once cooked, strain and set aside. If noodles stick together, run warm water over them before serving.
- Toss cabbage in a bowl with lime juice and salt. Set aside.
- Prepare garnishes if using.
- Set aside 1/3 cup hoisin sauce mixture for serving with lettuce wraps.
- Heat nonstick pan over medium heat and add green onions and remaining hoisin sauce. Heat until sauce starts to bubble, stirring frequently; about 3 minutes. Then add tofu and mushrooms back to pan and stir until they are coated with hoisin sauce. Once coated, remove from heat.
- To serve: Take 1 or 2 lettuce cups and add noodles, tofu mushroom mixture, cabbage, top with desired garnishes (cilantro, cashews, sesame seeds, hot sauce) and drizzle with additional hoisin sauce mixture.
Make ahead and timing: Prepare sauce up to a day ahead. The cabbage, cilantro and cashews can be chopped earlier in the day. Also, the lettuce cups can be washed, drained and separated in the morning.
Dietary Considerations: Vegan, Vegetarian, Gluten-Free