This time of year I tend to go overboard with my weekly veggie hauls from the local markets. It is so difficult to pass on any of the gorgeous produce abundantly available right now. This week was no exception and this dish was an almost serendipitous product of end of week “leftover” items in my fridge. I knew we were headed to the lake the following day and I HATE wasting food so I pulled out the contents of the fridge.
What laid on my countertop was a head of cauliflower, kale, a can of chickpeas that I had opened but never used, some fresh herbs, and freshly harvested candy cane beets from our garden that I was dying to slice up. The wheels in my head started turning and I conjured an image of a vibrant hearty salad smothered with a garlicky lemon tahini dressing.
I began composing this dish by roasting the cauliflower florets until slightly charred and chickpeas until golden and crunchy. Then I massaged the chopped kale with some fresh lemon juice and a sprinkling of sea salt. Next: quick pickled beets to add an extra hit of acidity and crunch. A garlicky lemon tahini dressing seemed like the obvious yet perfect way to dress these veggies. And a final sprinkling of parsley, mint and pistachios really brought this dish together.
I hope this vibrant dish makes its way onto your table.
A delicious and healthy kale and roasted cauliflower salad topped with crunchy chickpeas, pickled beets, pistachios, parsley and mint. Served with a garlicky lemon tahini dressing. Serve as a side or entrée.
- 1 small head cauliflower, about 4 cups (1 litre)
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) olive oil
- 1 medium beet, thinly sliced (use a mandoline if you have one)
- Juice of 1 lemon, divided
- ¼ tsp (1 ml) salt
- 1 cup (250 ml) chickpeas
- 1 small bunch kale, thinly cut, about 3 cups (750 ml)
- ⅓ cup (80 ml) pistachios, roughly chopped
- ¼ cup (60 ml) parsley, chopped
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) mint, chopped (optional)
- ¼ cup (60 ml) tahini
- 1 tsp (5 ml) salt
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 tsp (5 ml) maple syrup
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) red wine vinegar
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- water, if required
- Preheat oven to 400 ℉/205 ℃.
- Toss cauliflower with 1 tbsp (15 ml) olive oil and season with salt. Roast for about 20 minutes or until the edges are browned.
- Toss chickpeas with 1 tbsp (15 ml) olive oil and season with salt. Roast for 20 minutes or until browned and crunchy.
- When cooked, remove from oven and set aside.
- Meanwhile, “pickle” the beets by combining juice of half a lemon and ¼ tsp (1 ml) salt in small bowl. Add beet slices, stir to coat and set aside.
- Place kale in a serving bowl and add the juice of half a lemon and a sprinkle of salt. Massage the kale briefly until it starts to wilt.
- Dressing: Combine all dressing ingredients, adding a bit of water if it seems too thick.
- To serve: add roasted cauliflower and chickpeas, beets (including the “pickling” juice) to the serving bowl with the kale. Toss with the dressing.
- Garnish: Sprinkle with pistachios, parsley and mint, if using.
Dietary Considerations: Vegan, Vegetarian, Dairy-free, Gluten-free