This vibrant green soup is a lovely combination of asparagus, peas & leeks. It is finished with a generous squeeze of lemon juice, fresh dill and cashew cream. The flavours are simple and subtle but incredibly delicious.
Local asparagus recently hit the stores and market here in Manitoba, so we’ve been enjoying it at least once, sometimes more, each week. I always get excited for the first batch of local asparagus not only because it’s delicious but it also means much more local produce will be coming into season very soon.
I love the versatilely of this recipe. You can easily substitute the asparagus and/or peas for any green veggie that you have available (i.e., broccoli, kale, swiss chard). If you don’t have access to leeks you can simply use a regular cooking onion. This bright and creamy soup would be great as an appetizer for a summer dinner party. As well, it’s wonderful for dinner during the week served with a crusty loaf of bread. I also like adding chick peas for an extra hit of protein.
Ciao for now,
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) olive oil
- 2-3 leeks, thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tsp (5ml) salt
- 1 tsp (5 ml) ground cumin
- 1 tsp (5 ml) ground coriander
- 4 cups (1 litre) vegetable stock
- 1 medium potato, ½ inch (1.5 cm) cubes
- 2 cups (500 ml) water
- 1 cup (250 ml) cashews
- 1 bunch asparagus, roughly chopped
- 1 cup (250 ml) fresh or frozen peas
- 1 cup (250 ml) fresh dill
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Optional garnish: asparagus ribbons, fresh snap peas, dill, chives and/or a drizzle of cashew cream
- Add oil to large pot and allow oil to warm up.
- Add leeks and sauté for 5-7 mins or until they start to soften; add garlic for the last few minutes.
- Add salt, cumin and coriander, stirring until brown bits collect on the bottom of the pan.
- Add vegetable stock and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, add potatoes and simmer for 10 minutes with the lid on.
- Meanwhile prepare the cashew cream. Blend cashews with 2 cups (500 ml) of water until smooth and creamy.
- Once potatoes are easily pierced with a fork add asparagus and peas to pot. Simmer for another 5 minutes, then add dill, lemon juice and cashew cream to pot. Stir to combine.
- Blend the soup by carefully adding a couple of ladles to your blender and pureeing until smooth. Empty the soup from the blender into a large bowl. Repeat this process, until all the soup is blended.
- Ladle into serving bowls and garnish as desired.