Warm up with a bowl of this incredibly tasty, simple and vibrant beet ginger and lime soup. It’s a little spicy from a dollop of thai red curry paste and a touch creamy from coconut milk. Also, it comes together in 30’ish minutes. Yay!
This recipe was born one afternoon when I noticed a bag of beets hanging out in my fridge that required some attention. Next to the beets were some ginger and limes. One thing led to another and this beet ginger and lime soup was conceived. I love when unexpected flavours come together to create something delicious.
Part of me wants to tell you to make this soup because of its immune boosting qualities, thanks to the generous amount of ginger and garlic. Perfect for cold and flu season! As well, the beets are naturally detoxifying. The other part of me just wants you to make this soup because the colour is so gorgeous. I’m a sucker for anything in this pinky-reddish hue.
No matter your reason, I hope you give this beet ginger lime soup a try!
Ciao for now,
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) coconut oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) ginger, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 4 medium beets, shredded (using grater or food processor)
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) Thai red curry paste, adjust to taste
- 2 cups (500 ml) water
- 1 can (400 ml) coconut milk
- 2 tsp (10 ml) salt, adjust to taste
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) coconut sugar
- Juice of half a lime
Garnish: Cilantro, Lime Wedges, Sesame Seeds
- Add coconut oil to a pot set over medium heat. When oil has melted, add onions and sauté until translucent, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add ginger and garlic. Sauté until fragrant; about 1 minute.
- Add shredded beets, red curry paste, water, coconut milk and salt. Bring to a boil and then simmer for 20 minutes or until beets are fully cooked.
- Add lime juice.
- Puree soup with immersion blender or by carefully transferring hot liquid to a blender.
- Transfer liquid back to pot. Add more water to thin pureed mixture if desired. Taste and adjust seasoning (curry paste, salt, etc).
- Garnish with cilantro, lime wedge and sesame seeds.
Special Equipment: Immersion Blender or Blender.
Dietary Considerations: Vegan, Vegetarian