Out of all the muffins, banana chocolate chip muffins are likely my favourite. Humble, simple and full of nostalgic flavours. These banana oat chocolate chip muffins are fluffy, moist, slightly sweet and have the perfect muffin to chocolate chip ratio.
The key to delicious banana muffins, loaves, or even custard is using very ripe bananas. As in the skin has turned completely black and the banana itself is not quite identifiable. This will provide beautiful intense banana flavour. Now that’s not to say you can’t use moderately over ripe bananas for this recipe but try to use extra over ripe if you can.
I usually buy 1 to 2 extra bunches of bananas every time I grocery shop. I let some get slightly past their prime which I freeze for smoothies. I let others go completely black and then freeze those for baking. I try to always have some ready to go in the freezer because you never know when a banana muffin craving will hit.
I often talk about the “simple pleasures” in life. For me, banana chocolate chip muffins definitely fall into that category. My best friend Kyla once brought me homemade banana chocolate chip muffins all the way to Barcelona. She of course didn’t travel all the way to Spain just to bring my a muffin. But you get the idea, I really love banana muffins.
These muffins will more than satisfy those cravings for classic banana chocolate chip muffins. I included some oat bran in this recipe for a little extra fibre because I couldn’t help myself. If you don’t have oat bran you can blend quick oats or rolled oats in a high speed blender until you reach a flour like consistency. In addition to chocolate chips there is also chopped walnuts.
I have a feeling this will be my last non holiday baking recipe until the end of December. So get excited for all the holiday inspired treats coming your way soon!
Ciao for now,
- 1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup oat bran
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ¾ cup almond milk (or milk of choice)
- ¼ cup butter, melted
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 ripe bananas, mashed
- ½ cup walnuts, chopped
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- Optional topping: chopped walnuts, rolled oats, fresh banana slice
- Preheat oven to 400 ℉. Grease a muffin tin, or line with paper cups.
- Combine flour, oat bran, sugar, baking powder and salt in a large bowl.
- Combine milk, melted butter, egg and vanilla in a medium bowl. Whisk to combine.
- Add liquid mixture to dry ingredients. Stir just until combined (don’t over mix as this will result in a tough muffin).
- Add mashed bananas, walnuts and chocolate chips to batter. Stir briefly, just until distributed.
- If desired, sprinkle tops with rolled oats, chopped walnuts or extra chocolate chips.
- Bake in preheated oven until toothpick inserted in centre comes out clean, about 20 minutes.
- Let muffins cool in pan for about 10 minutes. Then transfer to a wire rack to cool. Serve warm or at room temperature.